The Build P7

Quote: jimmyesh on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Cheers again guys, always a morale-boost! šŸ˜€

Things took another turn for the worse today in the transmission dept :rolleyes:

As you know from the last update I had to fit the Quaife ATB Diff into the Mondeo MK3 'box due to differences in the two gearbox castings (despite them both being Ford MTX 75's :rolleyes: ).

Before I left last night I noticed that the diff was very hard to turn with the driveshaft fitted (much more so than when it was fitted in the FRS 'box) so this morning I stripped the box down again and started investigating...

I noticed that it was only the diff that was tight, both mainshaft and input shaft rotated fine, also the problem with the diff was only present when the bellhousing was fully tightened down, everthing was fine when it was opened by 1mm or so.

I know that the diff bearings (and mainshaft/input shaft)of these 'boxes have to be shimmed correctly to eliminate end-float so I assumed that, as I still had the Mondy diff shim fitted then that could be the culprit? I removed the shim and re-fitted the diff bearing, the diff itself then the bellhousing - STILL too tight! šŸ˜”

One thing I noticed about the FRS 'box is that it has a thin metal gasket between the bellhousing and gearbox casing - no other MTX 75 has this, so perhaps they knew there was clearance issues with the Quaife? šŸ˜• On the other hand Quife list the same ATB diff part number for all variants of MTX75 and there's no mention of any gasket required šŸ˜•

I've emailed Quaife this evening so hopefully the can be of assistance...

My other idea was to make my own gasket at work out of 1mm thick copper and make shims up of the same thickness for the main & input shafts (thereby keeping their end-float consistent), then I can check the Diff endfloat too and hopefully it'll be ok... :rolleyes: :oooh:

Why can't anything ever be simple?! šŸ˜” šŸ˜” šŸ˜” šŸ˜” :aaah:

Quote: jimmyesh on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:59 pm

Things are looking better today after some graft at work šŸ™‚

Recieved an email from Quaife this morning and they reckon that, as they designed their ATB Diff for the earlier "Ford bolt-pattern" MTX75, that the bellhousing casting for the Duratec MTX75 might not be as generous with regards space around the main diff body - bloody Ford! :rolleyes:

This afternoon I fabricated a thin copper shim/gasket that would hopefully create the required clearance:

I ended up making two of the bloody things but the diff works just fine now :Q

By the way, does anyone else here end up eating absolute crap when they're busy grafting on motors?! :aaah: šŸ˜†

I consigned the original FRS speedo trigger wheel (mounts to the diff) to the Biffa as I originally thought it was the culprit (as late MK3 Mondys didn't have this fitted I thought the casting may not allow for it...) so I visited the Ford parts desk earlier and paid Ā£7.50 for another one.

Tomorrow I'm going to shim the input & main shaft bearings by the same thickness as my gasket to keep the original tolerances, then I'll check end-float of the diff and shim that as neccessary šŸ™‚

Once I have the speedo trigger ring I can reassemble the 'box and get it mounted to the engine...

Bye for now! šŸ˜€

Quote: jimmyesh on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:23 pm

Had a productive last couple of days and now (at last! :aaah: ) the gearbox is fitted to the engine :Q

All required shims have been made + fitted and the diff turns exactly as it should now, as does the rest of the gearset.

This morning I fitted the new speedo sensor trigger ring, firstly the diff bearings had to be removed from the diff.

Then the ring was fitted onto the diff, followed by the bearing - this was then pressed home by the hydraulic press.

Lucky I changed diffs actually because the later MK3 Mondeos didn't have a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) in the gearbox so there was no trigger ring either - I'd have never known that, had I not stripped the 'box down! :oooh:

Here's where we're up to today - Engine & 'box joined together, starter motor also fitted.

I need to visit the scrappy this week and remove the driveshaft extension from a MK3 Mondy as my 2.0 Focus Zetec one is (not surprisingly) nowhere near the correct fit on the back of the Duratec block :rolleyes:

Bye for now šŸ˜‰

Quote: jimmyesh on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:23 pm

jonboisxr2i wrote:
whats next then???

Hopefully there'll still be some people in work on Monday so I can get a hand lifting the whole powertrain onto the trolley that you can see in the pic, then it's portable enough for me to get it to the other end of the workshop where the crane and lifts are (about 100 metres' walk).

Still got to de-grease and steam-clean the engine bay (on Monday), then grind of the remains of the battery tray and the original Fiesta engine mounting point (just as I did with the Manj) - Then the 'bay is ready for dummy-fitting to commence šŸ˜€

Got to get to the scrappy and get that driveshaft centre bearing and extension from the MK3 Mondy.

Get the driveshaft that needs shortening into Cober Precision Engineering (Ā£Ā£Ā£ :rolleyes: )

Got to get in touch with Earls hoses and order some hose and fittings for the turbo oil & water lines (I'm not waiting to fit them once the engine is in the car! :aaah: )

Somehow raise some cash to buy the Omex 710, Omex loom, 3 Bar MAP sensor, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Fuel pressure regulator to list just a few expenses still in the way of completion! :oooh: :rolleyes: